Go through your mail DAILY!
• Have the right tools on hand: letter opener, trash can, recycling bin, shredder and in-box.
• If you do not have a shredder I strongly urge you to get one. You can find a reasonably priced one at your favorite big box store. Look for a shredder that has “Cross • • Cut” or “Micro Cut”. These offer a higher level of security and it would be extremely difficult for someone to try to reassemble the pieces of paper. A lot of shredders can also destroy CD’s, DVD’s & credit cards.
• Stage these tools all together in one area in your home. Common areas are the home office or in the kitchen.
• After you get your mail do you enter your home through the garage? If so, consider going through your mail before you go back into the house. That way only the important mail that you need to act on enters your home.
• When going through your mail throw, recycle or shred what you don’t need. When opening bills only keep the bill and envelop if needed. Recycle the “guts” – all of the offers that are included in the mailing.
• Put the rest in your in-box to act on during your set time.
• Dedicate a time to go through your in-box and stick to it! Put it on your calendar. Daily or weekly, whatever works for you. Notice that monthly is not an option.
• You can cut down on the mail that you receive. Visit my Opt Out page for ideas on how to reduce incoming mail.
• Sign up for e-billing with your credit cards, utilities, and banks. Eliminating these monthly paper statements will help reduce the amount of mail coming into your home.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!