by Dengarden on AUGUST 7, 2012
Organize Your Attic, Basement and Garage
It is time to tackle the junk havens – the storage areas of many things you probably don’t use or need. Tips:
- Broken furniture – Schedule a time for it to be fixed or get rid of it.
- Clothing – If you store seasonal clothing, go through it all to weed out what does not fit or look good. Hang up coats and other clothes on a portable hanging rack to save space.
- Holiday decorations – Store in large plastic bins and stack them together.
- Luggage – Keep only the suitcases and bags that you honestly will use. Donate the rest.
- Sports gear – Make sure tents, sleeping bags and other equipment are packed tightly and consolidated in one area.
You house is almost completely decluttered, and the only area left is the garage. For some, this may be an all day job. Here are some tips for getting your garage organized:
- Peg boards are good for hanging tools on the wall.
- Use large hooks to suspend bicycles or other large items.
- Hang garden or yard tools (shovel, rake, hoe) on the wall.
- Shelves are a great way to organize the garage. Consider installing shelves along the walls or purchase plastic shelves from a super center or home improvement store. You also may find some sturdy wooden shelves at second hand stores.